Alder is a soft wood and sometimes contains knots. This species is considered a great option for laser cutting and engraving and produces and nice dark burn when engraved. When finish is applied, Alder darkens quite a bit and can looks similar to Cherry. Alder trees do not grow very large, so we rarely carry stock wider than 6".
- Common Names: Alder, Red Alder, Western Red Alder, Pacific Coast Alder, Alnus rubra
- Origin: Coastal Pacific Northwest
- Color: Light tan to reddish brown wood color, color darkens and reddens with age
- Janka Hardness: 590 lbs/ft
- Avg. Weight: 2.48 lbs/bdft
- General Workability: Alder wood works great for laser cutting and engraving and produces a nice dark burn. Alder is easy to work with and cuts, sands, glues, and finishes well. Keep in mind that this wood is naturally very knotty. We try to cut out the largest knots, but can't guarantee the wood will be completely clear. Be prepared to cut around a few knots when working with Alder.
Project Ready? These thin wood sheets are perfect for scroll sawing, laser cutting and engraving, thick veneers, and much more.
Our Project Ready Alder boards are kiln dried and surfaced and sanded to 150 grit on two sides.
Sizes are exact. |
This is all solid Alder hardwood, not plywood, and is not glued. |
100% satisfaction guaranteed.
These Alder boards are solid hardwood, sanded to 150 grit on two sides. Sizes are exact.